Very slow queueing with MS SQL 2008 R2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    newsmanpro.com Forum Index : Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Very slow queueing with MS SQL 2008 R2 Reply with quote

I have been using MS SQL 2008 (R2) for a while now. I recently set up my new development system on entirely new hardware and since I install Visual Studio anyways, I use MSSQL which comes with it.

I did the same on my previous system and it worked really well. With my new system, however, I see a significant (factor 4 or 5) slower queueing (and other DB) operations than before. Both systems run Win 7 x64 with latest updates. The new system has much better hardware (6-core 3930K CPU running at 4.2GHz, SSD hard drive and 32GB of RAM (16GB as ramdisk) and should (and does in other tasks!) perform significantly faster.
So, I am wondering if I missed anything.

I made sure MSSQL runs in simple mode (which it did out of the box; no change was required) and I am running the latest 3.0.7.2 beta of NMP.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the gradient highlight theme in NMP? Currently, that's causing a slow down when queuing new jobs. I think it is an issue caused by painting the icon over the gradient, but I'm still not 100% sure. I'm running the same version of SQL and if I turn off the gradient highlight, the queuing speed returns to normal.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean the "List Highlight Style" in the general settings?
It was set to Glass and I have now changed it to Flat.
But I am in the middle of a big download and won't queue anything until the download is done in a few hours.
I just wanted to make sure I understood which setting you meant.

Did you see the slowdown also with Glass?

The menus and toolbars are set to the default theme btw.
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass is fine. It's the gradient setting that causes the slowdown. In that case, it must be an actual issue with your SQL installation.

I would take a good look at how your install was done and make sure that you don't have any incorrect settings. Also, make sure that any firewall and AV settings are not interfering with SQL Server.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ruled out firewall and AV by disabling both.
No change.

The install was done during installation of Visual Studio 2010, followed by windows updates, which upgraded to SQL server 2008 R2. I don't recall any install options.

You mentioned "incorrect settings". What could they be and how can I change them?
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the SQL Server performance articles on the Internet assume that the SQL Server itself is fine and that any performance problems are query or index related. However, the information used to diagnose a problem is the same in either case. The biggest hurdle to uncovering what might be causing your particular problem will be lack of load on SQL Server itself. Here are two very good articles to start with:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

This utility is useful in diagnosing SQL Server configuration issues:

http://sqlcop.lessthandot.com/

You should also review your SQL Server settings and verify that all of them are configured as you expect them to be. There are too many settings to cover here, but here is a start:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319942

If it were my machine, I would consider removing Visual Studio and SQL Server and reinstall SQL manually. Then install Visual Studio and let it use the instance you manually installed or a separate instance of its own.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the links.

I rather not re-install anything at the moment. I will leave that as a last resort in case the links don't lead to any help...
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just re-installed sql server 2008 r2 (full version, not express).

it is still extremely slow. no change. newsman is no fun any more!

i read the config articles you linked to but i found nothing that would be applicable to my situation.

any further ideas?

btw: it is not only the queueing that is extremely slow. also power purge which always ran very fast now takes ages. it seems the entire db access is messed up.
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more things to consider:

* When you reinstalled SQL Server, did you also create a new database?

* You may also want to try limiting parallel processing in SQL Server to see if maybe it is a compatibility issue with your CPU.

* Have you actually benchmarked your disks to compare iops between your old and new PC? SQL is, for the most part, disk bound.

* Have you limited SQL memory usage? If so, how much are you allowing and how big is your database?

* How many active databases are on your SQL instance?

* What other disk intensive activities are going on?

Trying to find these kinds of problems is frustrating, I know. I can say that I am using the same version of SQL Server and I am getting comparable performance as I was when using MySQL.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

administrator wrote:
Here are a few more things to consider:

* When you reinstalled SQL Server, did you also create a new database?

i created an entirely new instance. i didn't explicitly check but i assume there were no databases, except the default ones always created by mssql. newsman asked for a new db to be created, which i allowed of course.

Quote:
* You may also want to try limiting parallel processing in SQL Server to see if maybe it is a compatibility issue with your CPU.

can't imagine this to be an issue but will try.

Quote:
* Have you actually benchmarked your disks to compare iops between your old and new PC? SQL is, for the most part, disk bound.

yes, i have. the new disks (in raid0) are about factor 2.3 faster than the previous setup (non-raid).

Quote:
* Have you limited SQL memory usage? If so, how much are you allowing and how big is your database?

no limit on memory. my db is always very small as i never download headers or anything else. i use nzb files only. nothing else. and i always do a power purge after each download session.

Quote:
* How many active databases are on your SQL instance?

only the standard dbs created by mssql and newsman.

Quote:
* What other disk intensive activities are going on?

none. this is my development machine. i always know what is running.

Quote:
Trying to find these kinds of problems is frustrating, I know. I can say that I am using the same version of SQL Server and I am getting comparable performance as I was when using MySQL.

Regards
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all rights, it sounds to me like SQL Server should definitely run faster on your new PC than it did on your old one. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't, especially since you are aren't even storing any long-term headers.

Have you tried MySQL on this PC? I'd be curious if it runs slower as well.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i haven't tried mysql on my dev system. but given that my current config is so frustratingly slow i am thinking about it.

the other option is to do a complete re-install and then follow your suggestion of installing mssql server first before i install visual studio.

i will probably make a decision in the next few days and i'll let you know how it goes.

in any case: thanks for your swift responses. your dedication to us customers is much appreciated!
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed mysql (latest 64bit version) and now newsman is very fast.

i will keep mysql for now.

my next software contract will involve a mssql database and i am curious how it will perform on my machine. i will then decide whether to re-install my entire system.

thanks again for your quick responses.
administrator
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm glad to hear that MySQL is fast, it still doesn't explain what is wrong with your SQL Server installation. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Regards
haraldh
Experienced
Experienced

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, same here.
i would certainly like to find out what is going on.

if i gave you remote access to my machine (i have mssql management studio installed) would you be interested and willing to have a look?

if so, send me a pm and we can take it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    newsmanpro.com Forum Index : Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: